Review: 'Everything, Everything' by Nicola Yoon

Thursday, July 30, 2015
18692431

Everything, Everything
Nicola Yoon


This innovative, heartfelt debut novel tells the story of a girl who’s literally allergic to the outside world. When a new family moves in next door, she begins a complicated romance that challenges everything she’s ever known. The narrative unfolds via vignettes, diary entries, texts, charts, lists, illustrations, and more.

My disease is as rare as it is famous. Basically, I’m allergic to the world. I don’t leave my house, have not left my house in seventeen years. The only people I ever see are my mom and my nurse, Carla.

But then one day, a moving truck arrives next door. I look out my window, and I see him. He’s tall, lean and wearing all black—black T-shirt, black jeans, black sneakers, and a black knit cap that covers his hair completely. He catches me looking and stares at me. I stare right back. His name is Olly.

Maybe we can’t predict the future, but we can predict some things. For example, I am certainly going to fall in love with Olly. It’s almost certainly going to be a disaster.

The Big Picture: 

This book was quite good. I was surprised by how much I liked it. I didn't think it would be amazing, but it ended up being pretty good.
I loved the characters. Madeline was a reader. I loved her voice. She was fun and youthful. Olly did parkour and stood up for his family. He protected them when he could.
The plot was pretty dull. The Big Reveal was extremely predictable. I felt like there could have been more drama.
The romance was so fluffy. I had a fun time reading it. It was cute and adorable like many first romances.
The ending gave Madeline closure. I didn't have any more questions left, and I felt satisfied.

Travel Companion:

If we traveled with the main character Madeline Whittie, she would be:

The Reader



She would read all the books in the world. She would own a bookstore and run it with her boyfriend. She would visit her mother and Carla often. She would often give out books for free to those who need it.
We would meet her in her bookstore, reading 'The Little Prince'. We would buy a copy of 'The Little Prince' with her rewards in it. We would return it to her and invite her on a trip to see the world. She would come with us to visit the places she read about but never got to experience.

I loved Madeline's voice. She was hilarious. And she was a reader as well. She hated some of the books I hated. She loved some of the ones I loved. She read mostly classic books from years on by. I felt a connection between the two of us.
She was smart and kind. I thought she was pretty cool. She was good with architecture. And pretty good at hiding secrets.
Love makes people do crazy things, right?
I started to feel for her. Her pain. Her love. Her anguish at the truth. When I start to feel for a character, that means the character was pretty good.

The Adventure Begins (And Ends):

The plot was a bit dull. Not a lot happened. The majority of the book was cutesy art and funny moments. And Olly and Madeline IMing. Only certain parts of the book had tension.
But the Hawaii trip? Wow. I was on the edge of my seat. How could she do that? She was going to die. She was going to hurt herself. I felt like she was acting without thinking. And Olly was an idiot for letting her go and practically encouraging it. I was rolling my eyes and scowling at their idiocy.
And the Big Reveal? That was expected. I felt like it was coming. It was obvious. It wasn't such a big reveal as it could have been. I expected it about halfway in. (Okay. That might be a small exaggeration. More like...70% in.

I'll Wait For You At the Gate:

The romance was too quick. Madeline fell too quickly. There was a lingering question. Did she fall for Olly because of convenience, or did she really love him? Someone who doesn't like romance like me can't be a good judge. I thought that she did care for him.
But it was fluffy. So fluffy. 


Their conversations were so funny. I smiled often when I read this book. The two of them were so cute. They had some adorable jokes. They had little quirks. I'm talking about their Fast Five thing. They were great together. Olly brought the world to Madeline, and she gave him happiness.

Perks and Upgrades:

N/A

You Have Arrived at Your Destination:

My reaction to the ending: 


It was so cute. The little used bookstore. The shelf. The rewards. Aw... So cute.
The ending gave Madeline closure. I felt like she finally got what she deserved. A happy ending. (Which is rare in any sort of fiction.) I'm happy her mom got the treatment she needed. I'm happy that Madeline got what she wanted in the end.
I don't have any questions left.

Rating:

4/5


No comments :

Post a Comment