Review: 'Your Voice Is All I Hear' by Leah Scheier

Thursday, August 20, 2015
22082098

Your Voice is All I Hear
Leah Scheier

Everything about Jonah is unexpected. On the first day of school, he sits next to April, when he could have chosen to sit with the popular girl. He turns down an invitation to join the school team and declares he'd rather paint. He encourages April to develop her musical talent and shrugs off the bullies that torment them.

April isn't surprised to find herself falling for Jonah. The unexpected part is when he falls for her too.

But the giddy happiness of their first romance begins to fade when Jonah's unpredictability begins to take a darker turn. April understands that her boyfriend is haunted by a painful memory, but his sudden mood swings worry her. She can't explain his growing fear of cellphones, electric keyboards, and of sounds that no one else can hear. Still, no matter what happens, April is sure that she'll always stand by him.

Until Jonah finally breaks and is committed to a psychiatric ward.

Until schizophrenia changes everything.

Though everyone urges her to let him go, April stays true to Jonah. But as the boy she adores begins to disappear in front of her, she has to face her worst fear: that her love may not be enough to save him.

NOTE: I got this off NetGalley.

The Big Picture: 

Wow. Just...wow. I'm shocked. This book was surprisingly good.
The storytelling wasn't bad. It was an interesting way to show Jonah's disorder.
The characters were interesting. Their personalities and love of music. I liked the characters.
The instalove was annoying. I swear. They barely knew each other! But April and Jonah had chemistry. I could definitely see that.

The Dirty Details:


The storytelling wasn't bad. I liked that we saw things from one of Jonah's loved ones. I thought it was an interesting perspective. We didn't see his disorder first hand. We saw it through someone else's eyes. We saw his struggle, but April didn't know what was going on. His loved ones blamed themselves. They picked apart their memories to find the signs. They tried to help. They tried to understand. This book showed the other side of mental disorders. It showed the disorders from the eyes of a loved one. It was a new perspective.

The characters were interesting. I liked their personalities. The shy girl who isn't noticed. Her boyfriend the artistic and tormented guy. They were interesting. I did like the characters. They were barely noticed. They were the invisibles. I was, and still am, one of them. A moody girl. Bookish. Nerdy. You know, the works.
I thought the characters could have been my friends. Or me. Or anyone I know. They felt quite real.

The instalove was annoying, but the two characters Jonah and April truly did care for each other. I felt like they barely knew each other, though. They barely had any dates. The romance was quick and sudden. A few pages in and boom! Romance.
The two had a connection, though. I can't deny that. They had something special. And April definitely cared for Jonah. She stayed when others doubted him. She played his games. She would be with him forever. That's what he did to her. She was loyal and committed. She cared. And caring is important.
Rating:

4/5


No comments :

Post a Comment