Tomato Talks: I'm okay with authors talking personally on Twitter, and I'm not okay with being okay

Tuesday, January 19, 2016

I'm perfectly fine with authors talking about controversial topics on their Twitters. I know Lauren DeStefano's opinions on the school shootings. I know Victoria Schwab's opinions on pro-life and pro-choice.

Do I think that authors deserve their voice? Yes, I do. If it was me, I'd be shouting my opinions on mental health and diversity and gay rights. That's just me. I know people are touchy about certain topics. I know that. Am I saying that authors should be silenced? No, I'm not.
This is what I'm saying.
I'm a writer for my school newspaper. The sponsor for the newspaper told us to be careful about what we say on social media. We can't show opinions on controversial topics. We can't be leaning to one side or the other. Even a RT or a like can ruffle someone's feathers. You need to be careful. You can't trip over someone's breaking point. You can't hurt someone's feelings and have them lash out at you. Or at your paper/company.
It's not worth the risk.

That's why I wince each time I see an opinion on a controversial topic. I'm all for freedom of speech. But saying the wrong thing could be bad for you. You could get hurt. Or worse.

It's not like you're a random face in a sea of many. You're an author. Someone people know. They know your face. Your story. Sometimes, even, your location. It's so worrying when authors shout their opinions. What if they get hurt? That's what I'm worried about.

I'm not saying to silence authors. I'm not saying to silence anybody.

I'm saying to be careful. Be so very careful.

What do you think about authors talking about controversial topics on Twitter? Tell me!

No comments :

Post a Comment