What in the World Just Happened? Aka My Thoughts During the Entire 'Wink Poppy Midnight'

Friday, May 13, 2016


23203106

Wink Poppy Midnight

Author: April Genevieve Tucholke

Every story needs a hero.
Every story needs a villain.
Every story needs a secret.

Wink is the odd, mysterious neighbor girl, wild red hair and freckles. Poppy is the blond bully and the beautiful, manipulative high school queen bee. Midnight is the sweet, uncertain boy caught between them. Wink. Poppy. Midnight. Two girls. One boy. Three voices that burst onto the page in short, sharp, bewitching chapters, and spiral swiftly and inexorably toward something terrible or tricky or tremendous.

What really happened?
Someone knows.
Someone is lying.

This is not the book that pulled me out of my reading slump. But I still loved it. It was complex and confusing. It didn't make any sense. I did love part of it, though.

Likes:


  • The toxic relationships intertwined. And I loved them. I'm not condemning toxic relationships, but I loved the way the three teens interacted. Poppy's domineering push towards Midnight. Midnight's shyness and submission towards Poppy. Poppy's confusing relationship with Wink. Wink and Midnight's love story. There was a web of tangled relations. I had to sort through the complicatedness of it all. And the toxicity of the relationships was awful. Truly. You couldn't help but feel for Midnight. But things weren't simple. There were so many sides to each relationship. It was super interesting to see how things played.
  • I typically don't like artistic-y stories. They confuse me. I'm left behind. But the way the story was told was understandable for me. I write in the same manner. Repeating words. All that sort of thing. I understood this story much better.

Dislikes:

  • The plot wasn't the type of plot I liked. It was kinda dull. There wasn't much pizazz. I wanted more scenes of Poppy in the Roman Luck house. I wanted more conflict. There was conflict, but it wasn't interesting. I wanted more Poppy on Wink. I wanted more of their story. Even if it's not action-y at all. I wanted more Hero and Villain action. There wasn't enough for me.
  • The ending was super confusing. What happened? How did Poppy prove it? I wanted more information. Would Midnight go home? Where was home? What was his motivation? I had too many questions and no answers.

No comments :

Post a Comment